| 3 min read
When it snows in Winter, you're in for some magical landscapes, especially in the southern part of the country. Below are some places that are likely to be covered with a magical white blanket when it snows in Belgium.
This map visualises all the places mentioned in the article.
In and around the Hautes Fagnes
Signal de Botrange
At 694m Signal de Botrange is the highest point in Belgium and Benelux in general, so they built a ladder on the top to reach 700m.
- 8,7 km circular hike via Noir Flahey towards Baraque Michel, the second highest point in the Hautes Fagnes (674 meter). find the GPX route here
- hike around Lac de la Gileppe: marked hiking trail 44 (15,6 km)
- longer hike around Lac de la Gileppe towards Eupen: find the GPX route here (26 km)
Mount Rigi has beautiful nature and there are many trails to hike.
- a 9 km circular route around Mont Rigi, find the GPX route here
- a 5,3 km walk around Mont Rigi, find the GPX route here
- a 3,3 km family friendly walk around Mont Rigi, find the GPX route here
Possibility to go sledding in the Spa Ski resort (Route de Berinzenne)
- 7 km balade de la Vecquée, find the GPX route here
Baraque de Fraiture (652 meter)
- 9 km hike on Plateau des Tailles, find the GPX route here.
- 16 km hike from Houffalize to Achouffe. Find the GPX route here
You can park clause to Ravel (the former railway) and walk there. There are wonderful hills for sledding.In the center there is nice pizza place.
- 8 km hike around Ouren. Find the GPX route here
- 17 km hike that passes along Burg Reinhardstein. Find the GPX route here
Most southern part of Belgium
- 8 km hike starting from Chiny. Find the GPX route here
- 22,6 km hike around Saint-Hubert, find the GPX route here
- 15 km around Saint-Hubert, find the GPX route here
- 10 km hike around Saint-Hubert, find the GPX route here
You could combine it wit a visit to the Bastogne War Museum
Which snow places can you reach using public transportation?
- Libramont: by train (2hours from Bruxelles Central)
- Signal de Botrange: train to Eupen (1h45 from Bruxelles Central) or Verviers (1h30 from Bruxelles Central), then bus to Signal de Botrange (30 minutes)
- Baraque Fraiture: train to Liège (1h from Bruxelles Central), then bus to Baraque de Fraiture (1h)
Do you have questions? Did you experience something similar? Did you notice a mistake? Please share!